You might have some idea, but exactly why are teeth important? Keeping your teeth healthy is important for a variety reasons:
- Appearance. It is proven by research that the teeth are one of the first things someone will notice about you. Shallow as it may seem, a healthy clean mouth will give a much better impression of you than an unhealthy looking mouth would.
- Confidence. Confidence comes with the appearance of healthy teeth. People who are not happy with their smile will try to cover it up, deflecting from and interrupting social interactions. A healthy mouth is a great asset, not just medically, but also both socially and professionally.
- Diet. Having a full set of teeth, with all their differing functions, allows one to keep a healthy and varied diet. Your teeth play an important role in the beginning of food digestion.
- Speech. Teeth are important in speech development and maintenance of a variety of sounds.
- Maintaining the shape of the lower face.
If you Don’t Look After your Teeth Now, You’ll Regret it Later!
Caring for your teeth at home is the key to a healthy mouth. If you do not look after and keep your teeth healthy, you are at risk of tooth decay, gum disease and eventual loss of teeth. The problem is that you may not be aware of these conditions until a lot of irreparable damage has been done.
Dentists see the problem day-in and day-out. People think they are ‘getting away’ with not caring for their teeth. They come to the dentist with a problem and find they have a mouth full of decay or gum disease that they did not know about.
A summary of why you should try to look after your teeth, and why you’ll regret it one day if you don’t!:
|A few minutes spent twice a day looking after your teeth.||A few minutes a day ’saved’ by neglecting your teeth.|
Which side would you rather be on??
Return to the main page on how to keep your teeth healthy and learn how to stay on the green side!!